Jarod, Ben & Grace..... my rainbows.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Who am I?

Hi again everyone,

Who am I is the question I have wanted answered for some time now. I'm sure many of you can relate to it.

I have done so many things in my life good & bad that I spent many years not having a clue who I was. I think the worst part of that were the years that I thought I knew, but I was merely just an existence & not a very good one at that.

These days I like myself more then I used to. I don't abuse my body like I used to. I don't abuse myself mentally so much either (the occasional slip up occurs of course).

BUT TODAY,
Today was an amazing day in my life. Touched by strangers & then coming to the realisation that I was touched by something I did also.

I was in a Christian bookshop today & bought some things & at the service desk, I told the gentleman how wonderful one of the books was & why I was now buying a copy for my Church library. After a brief story about why & how the book had impacted on my life, the man had tears in his eyes & said to me. "You are such a special mother." "I have seen you in here before with your daughter & I thought then that you were a special mother. I didn't know that you had 2 sons also. Now you have confirmed to me what I already thought". I was a bit speechless to say the least. I thanked him very much for his compliments. A mother puts so much guilt upon herself that getting such a profound compliment takes one by surprise & you just say "Thank you".
With that he picks up a piece of paper & hands it to me with the date & his signature on it. It's for a free coffee at the bookshop cafe. I was very very very grateful. I went to sit down & saw a care worker from another church that I used to go to. I sat with him & his friend Fay & we chatted.

THEN, the man that sold me my books & new CD came up to me & placed 2 cards down on the table & said "these are for you, from me".
The first one I read says: You are wonderful in God's eyes-- and in mine!
The unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit is of great worth in God's sight.
1 Peter 3:4
It has a picture of tulips on it. It's very pretty & I love tulips. Tulips are in Holland & Grace's middle name, Lalah, means Tulip.

The second reads: I am all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
wow.
I enjoyed my coffee & managed to make a couple of new friends while there.

I went home & Grace had a sleep then it was time to pick up the boys from school.
On the way I noticed a mature lady walking down Main North Road away from a car. Considering she was in an isolated area of that road & considering her age, it wasn't hard to see she had broken down.
I couldn't leave her there. It wasn't safe for her. Especially given her age & the fact she was walking in the middle of nowhere. She was vulnerable. She obviously had no phone & she had a good walk before she reached a shop. I pulled the car over as she crossed the road in my direction. I offered to help her. I had no credit on my phone so I said I'd drive her to the next service station or pay phone. She accepted the lift & we drove. She was a lovely lady. I think she said her first name was Marlene. I remember her surname but don't want to write it on here. As we drove I realised that she would have too long to walk to get back to her car as there didn't seem to be anything around. So when we got to somewhere, I bought credit for my phone & called the RAA for her. During this call to them (she didn't want to talk) I had to give them her personal details. She will be 70 in November. Way too grand a lady to be walking that far alone.
We got back into my car & I called the school to let them know I would be late & why & they said they'd look after the boys for me til I got there. (I love that school...but that's another blog all of it's own. I love them all too much for just a few sentences).
Marlene put $10 down in my car. I told her no & told her to put it towards a mobile phone for herself (she KNEW she was in trouble from her family when they found out she broke down & didn't have a mobile phone like they'd been insisting she get).
When I tried to give it back to her, she was crying. I put my hand on her shoulder & said it was ok. Through her tears she said "you helped me". It took a lot for me to keep from crying myself. She said "I was just thinking what could have happened to me but you came & helped me".
I drove this very lovely beautiful lady (who had been out buying a gift for her Grandson) back to her car. The RAA had said they wouldn't be long so I went on my way to get the boys from school.
You wouldn't believe it, but as we got close to the spot I could see the RAA lights flashing & the man getting into his van. Marlene got into her car & drove off just as we went past her.
I almost cried again...yippee, she was on her way home to her family before it got dark & cold.
I am SO overwhelmed today it's incredible.
I did something good, but I didn't realise it at the time, just how much it meant to my new friend. I saw a woman who wasn't safe & I knew I could help her, so I did.
The whole time Gracie was talking & smiling at her new friend too.
I felt moved to the core by her gratefulness & later I realised that I must have touched her heart too. Her parting words were "Thank you & take care of your little ones."

She doesn't realise (& may never) how much she touched my heart & helped me a lot further on my road to finding out who I really am. & the discovery I made today, was a big one & I like it.

None of this I did alone. In fact I didn't make me like this at all.
God made me this way & is put people in my life when I needed it the most. Marlene probably thinks that I helped her & I did, but I'm sure she doesn't know that she helped me too.
Thank you God for making me me.
I still have a long road ahead, but I am so overwhelmed to be travelling on such a loving road.
I have the $10. What do I do with it? Do I donate it to Church tomorrow at the school Chapel service? Or do I donate it to the Down Syndrome Society that has lost so much of their funding? I don't feel right just spending it. It has to go somewhere good. What will I do? I know. I'll ask God.

Lots & lots of love
Mandy xx

2 comments:

  1. UPDATE.

    I gave the $10 to the boys to give at school Chapel this morning. I wasn't sure what to do exactly, so thought the Church would do something great with it. They support many charities including Cystic Fibrosis & Hearing impaired charities, as well as people in need & schools in less fortunate countries. They do this with the money that the children donate each Wednesday at Chapel.
    It's brilliant. I think my new friend would be happy with that.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy This was such a heartwarming story to read thank you so much for writing it down and sharing, it brought more than one tear to my eye I can tell you the kindness of strangers is becoming rare, Id have helped her like you but now and again you come across suspicion and fear from strangers you try to help but I carry on, mindful of the story of James Bulger and how any one of those strangers could have changed that days outcome.
    I feel blessed having read this and I know you dont have time to write much more and I understand why, but dont think its going unread
    its brought a huge happy smile to my face and I know there are others thst think like me.
    God bless you Mandy for being you <3 xxxx

    ReplyDelete