Jarod, Ben & Grace..... my rainbows.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Here's a story I wrote about Ben for a fundraising page for the Tourette Syndrome Society of Australia.

Ben, my 9 year old son was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome at the age of 5. Tourette Syndrome is a Neurological Disorder that causes the body to tic with motor, facial & oral tics. In the past 4 years Ben has over come so many hurdles. Tourette Syndrome for Ben means that his body tics, all his waking day. It never stops. Ben has severe tics. Most of the time he can suppress the majority of them until he gets home. But no matter what, they MUST come out. Having 3 children with 'extra' needs & all of them varying, I've had some life experience with a few special needs; Down Syndrome, Aspergers, Tourettes, ADHD, OCD & ODD. I've said many times in the past 4 years if I had a choice to cure one diagnosis that my children have, it would be Tourettes. I would literally give an arm if it meant Ben could have control over his own body again. If we could raise enough money to find a cure for TS without intrusive brain surgery, I would be one very ecstatic Mummy. Tourettes 'steals' Ben away from himself & us & it's so difficult for him to be himself, for his real personality to shine through. Raising this money will raise awareness & awareness raises research, research needs money.... you know how it goes. At the very least I'd love for there to be a way to make Ben's life easier. For those of you who know Ben, you would know him to be cheeky, funny, extremely fit & physically gifted in everything he does. You would also know that he's kind considerate & caring. He's loving & generous & has empathy for others. His school report last year stated that "Ben would be an asset in any classroom, he can make anyone smile." That in itself is an achievement when ones brain loses control of ones body. Ben has to try so much harder then the general population to maintain his demeanour, to focus on his school work (which he does brilliantly :)& we do regular trips to the Chiropractor to get his neck & back realigned as the tics throw them out & cause migraines for him. As for his smile, it's beautiful & lights up the world. I can only imagine the smile on his face when he finds out what we are doing for him and others like Ben who have TS & similar Neurological disorders. And what a better way to raise funds then by doing something to get them! I have weight to lose.... not just a little, but ALOT. By raising money for Ben, I PROMISE to work hard, so I can be the best Mum I can be for my children. Every one who donates will be invited to join a secret group on facebook, with all my weight loss goals & a before photo & a photo each week & weight loss updates. I'll even put my food on there if you want! I'm putting myself out there & making myself vulnerable, just like Ben does, every time he walks out the door. Thank you all SOOO much... Lots-a-love,
Mandy xxxx
ps... I'm making the goal amount $900 because Ben's favourite number is 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment